About UFO Games
One of the most fascinating categories in the gaming world today is UFO Games. This genre revolves around the mysterious and awe-inspiring concept of Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) and extraterrestrial life. Based on the fascination and curiosity that people have about space, the unknown, and the likelihood of life beyond Earth, this category rose to prominence in the early years of gaming.
The first UFO game, famously known as Space Invaders, was introduced to the gaming world in 1978. Created by Tomohiro Nishikado, it ushered in the era of shoot 'em up games with an intriguing alien invasion theme. To this day, UFO games continue to appeal to a diverse audience, including science fiction fans, strategists, action lovers, and more.
In essence, UFO games are unique because they provide an interactive platform for venturing into the unknown realms of the cosmic world, confronting alien invasions, or even becoming an invader! This genre of games has also left a significant mark on other areas such as movies (e.g. E.T the Extra Terrestrial, Alien, Star Wars) and music (e.g. "Flying Saucer" by Buchanan & Goodman, "Aliens Exist" by Blink-182).
What types of UFO games are there?
UFO games have evolved into several sub-genres over the years. Some UFO games emphasize strategic simulation, such as UFO: Enemy Unknown. In this game, players must manage their organization against an alien invasion, which involves not only combat but also resource management.
On the other hand, there are first-person shooter (FPS) UFO games such as Destroy All Humans! that engage players in direct and often chaotic combat against invaders. Other games, such as Kerbal Space Program, take a more educational approach, teaching players about orbital physics and aerospace engineering while they have fun building and launching aircraft.
What you can learn in UFO games
UFO games can be a creative and exciting way to learn about space and its plausible inhabitants. These games often feature futuristic technology, alien species, and even representations of celestial bodies. They can help improve strategic thinking and decision-making skills, as many of these games require planning and tactical execution. In addition, certain games also offer rudimentary and fun learning opportunities about physics, engineering, and the universe.
Best Online UFO Games
Here's a rundown of five popular UFO games:
- Space Invaders: This classic game was revolutionary in its time and set a new standard for the shooting genre. The goal is to defeat five rows of eleven aliens before they reach the ground.
- XCOM 2 : This game is a unique blend of real-time strategy and role-playing. You are entrusted with the mission to save Earth from an ongoing alien invasion.
- Elite Dangerous: This is a space simulation game where you can indulge in cosmic exploration, trade and combat while experiencing a realistic galaxy.
- No Man's Sky: With free rein to fully explore an infinite, procedurally generated universe, players can interact with unique alien species, discover unfamiliar terrain, trade, and fight.
- Kerbal Space Program: It is an educational yet fun game where you build and launch your aircraft, managing everything from building rockets to achieving successful takeoffs and landings.
In conclusion, UFO games, while based on the ethereal concepts of extraterrestrial life and UFOs, have secured their place in the gaming industry. Whether you are a firm believer in life beyond Earth, or just looking for some fun, thought-provoking gaming time, UFO games can be an entertaining way to experience the cosmos vicariously.