MOD INFO -
Zombie Master Black Edition is a "spin-off" mod based on the original Zombie Master Source Code. - Features: 9 all-new custom weapons - 3 new zombie types - challenging gameplay.

RSS Feed New weapon handling features in v2.0

An update on the new and innovative weapon handling features that will be included in v2.0

Posted by black_cat on Jun 28th, 2010

New weapon features

Weapon handling in ZMBE 2.0

New weapon features:

New weapon features
Ironsighting

Each firearm can be aimed down the sights to increase accuracy. (And because there is no crosshair provide the only reasonable way to aim). Sighted weapons will have a slightly reduced mouse turn speed and the movement speed of the player is greatly reduced.

------------

New weapon features
Manual action slide

Following the concept of manual pump action, the Makarov pistol will have this feature integrated into its operation. The slide pull-back is needed in two situations:

1) If the weapon was completely emptied, the slide locks back and remains like this until a fresh magazine
is loaded. After this, the player has to press the secondary fire button to release the slide catch. The
slide will move back forth, load a new bullet into the chamber and the weapon is ready to fire.

2) If the weapon is jammed, a quick slide pull is needed to fix the problem. Pulling the slide back in this situation will also eject the bullet that was in the chamber.

Note:
You can also pull back the slide whenever you want, to impress your fellow survivors without any of
the two situations being the case. It comes with a satisfying click sound at the cost of an ejected
bullet.

------------

New weapon features
Analog ammo checking

Instead of having information about the weapons' ammunition status on the hud, players will have to manually remove the magazine from the weapon and "see for themselves" for many bullets are left. This is accomplished by the new "Ammo check" key. When pressed, the magazine is removed from the weapon for a brief second and the player can literally see the amount of bullets left in the magazine. The makarov pistol has a large cut-out area on the magazine which makes this easy to check. The beretta M9 however does not, and the viewmodel hands will literally put the magazine close to the player camera so one can take a look.

------------

New weapon features
Analog magazine checking

The amount of magazine is displayed by pressign the "ammo-checking" key. The left hand reaches in the pouch and after some fumbling in the pocket all magazines that are in the inventory will be held up briefly.

------------

Gun jam
Each weapon has a very small chance to misfire and jam itself. To unjam, pull the slide back to eject the jammed bullet.

More to come..
There are quite a few more features, however these remain my dark dark sekrat.....
Hop by our new forums and voice your opinion! You like our manual action pumping in 1.2? then you will love 2.0. If you hate us for it, man the flamestationz! You will hate us even more!

All these gun features will take up all these new keys on your keyboard / mouse. Have this little spoiler and try to guess the new ones:

LMB - Fire
RMB - Ironsight toggle
SLIDE - Perform slide/pump action
C****_***O - SEKRAT
C****_*******E - SEKRAT

R*****_******Y - SEKRAT
R*****_********Y - SEKRAT
D*****_****K - SEKRAT
C*****_*******E - SEKRAT

Our new forums:
Zmbe.theicecave.net

Laters,
-cat

Comments
coolkid87
coolkid87 Jun 29 2010, 1:05am said:

interesting....

CubexMods
CubexMods Jun 29 2010, 1:24am buried:

(buried)

cool ideas but I beleive the "ammo checking" idea was copied from "the rising" HL2 mod

-9 votes     reply to
Blandr3ws
Blandr3ws Jun 29 2010, 2:05am replied:

That's a bit harsh; the rising only 'copied' it from the game: Condemed 1/2. So they can hardly take credit; and Cat may have played Condemed as well or another game with ammo checking.

ps Cat, it might be worth looking at a paramater controlled material for rendering the bullets - Cos Adding 30 (front half) bullets bullets for an SMG is quite a few polys.. But then you'll only see it when reloading so may not be that big a deal.

CubexMods
CubexMods Jun 29 2010, 2:14am replied:

sorry for using "copied" but it was just the rising was the first game that i have ever seen that uses "ammo checking" because i had never played comdemed 1/2

sbnewsom
sbnewsom Jun 29 2010, 4:06pm replied:

Even so, you should never accuse someone of copying something that is a basic action used in real-life. Its like saying "You copied iron-sights from (such and such)". Don't be so daft!

drmidnight
drmidnight Jun 29 2010, 2:52am replied:

If done right 30 bullets will add very little polys. Plus with even the average gamer's computer there should be no impact on performance.

56er
56er Jun 29 2010, 5:20am replied:

I really like the idea of this, adds some more action, even to reloading, than just the routine press "r" please :P

black_cat
black_cat Jun 29 2010, 5:51am replied:

To prevent 48 bullets to be shown on a magazine check (which is the maximum amount of magazines you can carry, I am going to delete any nonvisible polies to reduce polycount. Because without that, the polycount for the whole viewmodel is at 20 000. Even had to trick the compiler into loading different smds because it never compiles more than 10 000.

Sn1pe
Sn1pe Jun 29 2010, 4:04am replied:

I actually find the magazine checking to be interesting, to just pull out several magazines lol. Nobody is the 'original mastermind' behind anything, ammo checking has been in several games that I know of. No More Room in Hell also planned ammo checking way before The Rising was even thought of.

MatthewD
MatthewD Jun 29 2010, 10:09am replied:

It's funny how so many people to claim to already have that idea yet they are just barely starting to implement it.

black_cat
black_cat Jun 29 2010, 10:24am replied:

Well implementing the code is a 5 minute affair (even for me, and I am an amateur programmer).
I do not think ammo checking is an idea that can be "patented". Just like ironsights

AaronLewis
AaronLewis Jun 29 2010, 6:26am replied:

Ammo checking isint a first, and you cant copy something when working on realisim. To make a game more realistic add as many things which make it realistic, (Iron sights, no hud, ammochecking, jamming etc etc etc. (No regenerating health (Cough MW Series Cough))

Tracking.

black_cat
black_cat Jun 29 2010, 6:32am replied:

We have more unannounced weapon features which I won't reveal just now. And I do not think they have been done like this at all ever or at least not in the way we are going to.

Hint: They are listed in the news post in a cryptic format. (One is specifically related to shotguns and the other some firearms larger than handguns)

TheGreekDollmaker
TheGreekDollmaker Jun 29 2010, 6:31am replied:

Its not about the idea but how you intergrate the idea into gameplay and make it playable and fun.

Halo was the first game that had regenerating health but i dont see anyone complain that every FPS after that is ripping it off.

The magazine check is kinda interesting and cocking the magazine is really satisfiing.

Nicklan
Nicklan Jun 29 2010, 10:28am replied:

No it wasn't.In real life you check the bullets like this and so you do in games if the devs want to.

krg
krg Jun 29 2010, 11:36am replied:

The Rising was the first mod to implement this. I only say this because the news post says "new and innovative weapon handling features"

black_cat
black_cat Jun 29 2010, 11:42am replied:

The first mod that posts an ingame video of a feature is officially the first to have done it.
I do not know wether The rising has demonstrated this in a video yet, but it does not matter for me anyway who was first. The only thing I would like to state is that I did not have the idea for ammo checking from the Rising mod. There were games before it that had it.

I have further immersion features which I have to keep secret until I get a video recorded to prevent people from accusing us of "stealing" ideas.

Cremat0r
Cremat0r Jun 29 2010, 3:53pm replied:

Well Cubex, and that's called ownage.
And for this mod, you just deserver a second life!

Savci
Savci Jun 29 2010, 4:33am said:

Funny, I thought noone cares about Zombie Master anymore. I'm folowwing this mod!

black_cat
black_cat Jun 29 2010, 5:49am said:

I am aware that The Rising has ammo checking. However as the other poster just said, condemned had it sort of. And the original idea I got 10 years ago from a HL1 mod that was never released.

flakpalak
flakpalak Jun 29 2010, 8:22am said:

well at least YOU guys are working to update the game, the original ZM team is pretty much dead, i COULD say the same for the Black Mesa Source team as well... but, the point is I know which ZM mod im switching to now :D

black_cat
black_cat Jun 29 2010, 9:40am replied:

Well, the original ZM is not really dead. The developers only stopped developing. There is still over a 50 servers and around 100 players every day I estimate.

And keep in mind that the original ZM programmers were so nice to leave the source code behind for anyone to use.

Strange_guy
Strange_guy Jun 29 2010, 12:22pm replied:

Actually there is some talk of further development of ZM, specifically porting to the OB engine, going on on the ZM forums.

On these ideas... well they aren't inherently bad but in the context of ZM:BE as I last played it they are pretty stupid IMO. If there are significant changes elsewhere perhaps they might not be a bad thing, and I must admit I've always been a fan of ironsights,but otherwise these changes could all be bad.

black_cat
black_cat Jun 30 2010, 8:49am replied:

I am not sure about the whole Orange box euphory. To me, porting the game to it would be a waste of time. Most of the cool things people associate with "OB" are the new water shaders and textures in EP2. I think OB is just a very large and shiny sticker put on the engine update.

OB is just another engine update amongst many, and hats off to Valve's PR guys for branding it as the great OB where everything is new. A pure upgrade of the code won't make the game look better by itself. One has to take advantage of the new visual capabilities to make it noticable. And as I said above, one could for example grab some of the cool new shaders and textures off the EP2 files and fool everyone into OB greatness.

sasuke2490
sasuke2490 Jun 29 2010, 10:45am said:

looks cool

pvt.Johnson
pvt.Johnson Jun 29 2010, 10:57am said:

The new features remind me of Condemned gameplay like said above while not copying because that term has shenanigans written all over it. I like what i see :]

StoneCrowUK
StoneCrowUK Jun 29 2010, 12:18pm said:

You just earnt my instant track :D
really suprised with this, zombie master is at best unfinished.

xXMaNiAcXx
xXMaNiAcXx Jun 29 2010, 12:27pm said:

Wow, now you made me want to track and play this "Black Edition", really nice, will download when you release another version.

NuclearBanane
NuclearBanane Jun 29 2010, 1:27pm said:

I think the weapon hanling feature, or more the ammo checking feature can wait because the game needs to feel like it has more forward motion, like l4d but walk slightly slower.

LORDDEREX
LORDDEREX Jun 29 2010, 2:22pm said:

nice nice nice :)

FJS
FJS Jun 29 2010, 4:16pm said:

Looks really good, the ideas being implemented are just awsome.

Rockyusa
Rockyusa Jun 29 2010, 6:20pm said:

I loved the original ZMBE, although there weren't many people. I'm hopping for a larger community for this. I love the gun jamming idea. A good idea, if you are thinking of using any pump action shotgun(s), would be to manually pump the gun.

black_cat
black_cat Jun 30 2010, 8:42am replied:

Manual pumping is already in 1.2. The pump-action shotguns and the winchester use it.

Paxton
Paxton Jun 30 2010, 2:00am said:

Seems like it'll be a harsh thing for players new to it, but a great immersion tool.

Da-Fort
Da-Fort Jun 30 2010, 7:56am said:

Lets hope no one will start a flame about how gun jamming was copied from stalker.

Anyways, if you guys keep posting things like this I won't be able to wait for the next release as patiently as I am.

black_cat
black_cat Jun 30 2010, 8:43am replied:

I would happily list Stalker as a great inspiration for weapon handling in FPS. Russian/Ukrainian developers are usually years ahead of time when it comes to realism in shooters.

HelgeSverre
HelgeSverre Jul 13 2010, 12:43pm said:

very nice idea i`m looking forward to this :D

AlexPL55
AlexPL55 Aug 11 2010, 1:20pm said:

Dont listen to all of this "Not interesed" people.
This is cool, whats you like to do.
Sorry, my English is not good.

Seaal
Seaal Aug 25 2011, 10:39am said:

Maybe player's ammo hud should show up when they're checking their ammo.