Ragnarok Arena is a sidescrolling multiplayer shooter developed on the Source Engine. Gameplay is brutal and fast paced, with realism being thrown to the side in exchange for adrenaline-fueled arcade action. Relive the joy of playing in the style of older titles like Mega Man, Contra and Metal Slug with friends in eye-popping HD, and with a new control scheme custom-tuned for a keyboard and mouse.

RSS Feed Ragnarok Arena Beta 1 Released!

Experience a new way to shoot your friends online with the multiplayer sidescroller, Ragnarok Arena.

Posted by VulpineComplex on Jun 17th, 2010

Let me introduce you to a little secret in the life of Ackart: I love it when things go right. How many mod releases can you think of that announce a release date, just to flub on it? Probably more than a few, I know I can: And many of them were my own mods.

Not today, however.

Ragnarok Arena is, for the uninitiated, an action packed side-scrolling modification for Half-Life 2. Total conversion, if you will. If you're tired of the brown tyranny of realism that has overtaken gaming here as of late, Ragnarok Arena is a treat for you. I know you're probably tired of hearing "Action-Packed", but I don't really have any other way of describing it. Sidescrolling, Arcade-Style, multiplayer action.

To those who have played Ragnarok Arena in the past, I ask you to treat this as a completely new mod. It's been recoded from the ground up, and it shows. Controls are smooth and intuitive now, the weapon selection has been streamlined and the maps are much more accommodating. I can not harp on the controls enough, they're light years better than anything that we've done before.

Enough with the words however, and on with the links!

Ragnarok Arena Beta 1 Download Links (Full Version)

Ragnarok Arena Release Media Ragnarok Arena Release Media

Ragnarok Arena Release Media Ragnarok Arena Release Media

Be sure to take a glance at the Manual if you have any questions. Also, feel free to hit us up on our Forums. In fact, that's encouraged!

Comments
victorborges
victorborges Jun 18 2010, 12:32am said:

lol awesome

thecuteturtle
thecuteturtle Jun 18 2010, 12:41am said:

going to play right now!!

Xylemon
Xylemon Jun 18 2010, 12:54am said:

This looks awesome!

Marcho70
Marcho70 Jun 18 2010, 7:02am said:

Limitations of Source engine are endless!

Mastix
Mastix Jun 18 2010, 8:17am replied:

You kinda just said that the Source engine is very limited ;d
I think?

DuckSauce
DuckSauce Jun 18 2010, 8:38am replied:

Well spotted Mastix :D
I'd have overlooked that without your comment.

PierreOfTheFrench
PierreOfTheFrench Jun 18 2010, 7:27am said:

Very awesome trailer guys, looks very cool. Will definitely have to download after work :)

OTPIdARP
OTPIdARP Jun 18 2010, 7:42am said:

I heard that this was an hl1 mod?? btw is it a remake of it?

Minuit
Minuit Jun 18 2010, 1:09pm replied:

Yeah, there is a version on the HL1 engine available for download.

DuckSauce
DuckSauce Jun 18 2010, 8:41am said:

In the pre-release play yesterday I had the most epic moment, I was dueling both Ackart and Berzerk, was losing, I got fed up, grabbed an RPG, came running in towards their blasting, blasting them to hell, ran back with the flag and scored :D

Almost epic moment was a near suicide by my own RPG rocket hitting the ceiling of the roof I was standing on while duking it out with Ackart.
It flew in a circle, through an opening in the building, only to hit the ceiling directly below me.

egpheel
egpheel Jun 18 2010, 11:38am said:

AWESOME! Finally a game that really reminds me of Soldat! :D downloading and tracking :D

death5421
death5421 Jun 18 2010, 1:16pm said:

this should be fun. downloading!

Apples_of_Doom
Apples_of_Doom Jun 18 2010, 8:26pm said:

great mod....but idk when ppl play it, Im always alone in the server. :/

rellik_pt
rellik_pt Jun 18 2010, 8:35pm said:

i play this today and is very fun, but there was only 2 players last night. need more players

jerry111
jerry111 Jun 19 2010, 7:31am said:

just got out of a highly entertaining 3 vs 3 match. although the playerbase is small you've just delivered some entertaining gameplay, so please keep up the good work!

MadMonkey119
MadMonkey119 Jun 19 2010, 11:13pm said:

Wow, addicting in some kind of retro super fun style! Haha well done! May mention this on my blog.

Zay333
Zay333 Jun 20 2010, 2:59pm said:

I kinda have a basic idea on how these guys did this.
First the locked the camera so that it makes the game look 2D then the disabled the options to move left and right,now they can move just forward and backward.And I believe thats the basic scripting idea for this game.

Minuit
Minuit Jun 21 2010, 9:59pm replied:

Uh...?

Crispy2theMAX
Crispy2theMAX Jun 25 2010, 11:06pm said:

Nobody's playing this D:

Also you should think of adding a bot system

jokerX180