Modular Combat is a role-playing shooter based in the Half-Life universe. There are over 50 modules that can be upgraded at any level, in any combination. Modules give combatants amazing abilities such as flying, teleporting, spawning minions, and shooting flechettes or energy balls.
Modular Combat receives a balance update and we skip a release number AGAIN.
Posted by matthewdryden on Oct 1st, 2010
If you can call Modular Combat's PR anything, it's flashy.
I push the PR as much as I can because I believe having a good-looking release can go a long way. But I think I've gone too far and really have forgotten about what Modular Combat is really about: Fun.
That being said, the following release is focused on bringing some of the fun back to creating & designing characters that have a unique set of skills while giving more power to the low level players.
I'm just going to say it: Almost all passive modules have been removed from Modular Combat.
Take a deep breath. I know, it's a huge change. Now think about. What was one of the biggest problems in Modular Combat? Passive-stacking tanks. When a player hit level 25, they were pretty much impossible to kill, right?
Modular Combat 2.0.3 is all about smoothing out the power curve, taking away the grind, and making levels matter again. We've also taken away Recharge altogether and given players a passive auxiliary power regeneration and provided a new item: Red Batteries (worth 30 auxiliary power). Oh right, and we added a buff bar.
In essence, we want to make strategy & tactics actually matter. That being said...here is the full changelist:
- Teleport blockers now work again
- Several server crashes have been resolved
- Poison Spit now has a description and can be bound through the keyboard binding menu
- cmd refundmodules now properly resets a player’s module points
- Custom monster skin now remain visible upon death
- Anonymous usages statistic uploading will no longer cause servers to lock up for a few seconds
- Added “buff bar” to HUD. Players can now easily tell what buffs/debuffs they are affected by as well as the level and cooldown affecting module
- Target ID, death messages, scoreboard, and voice chat now use players steam name
- Certain modules now show “level 0” values in their data tables
- Adjusted the pitch of the BoSS welcome sound
- Added pvmdir ConVar to allow server owners to easily switch between different sets of monsters
- All module points have been refunded
- Players can no longer adjust their health, armor, ammo, and running speed during character creation
- Replaced Hula Dolls with Red Batteries, which increases players auxiliary power by 30. Red Battery pickups are dependant on the number of health & armor pickups on map, which means there is a significant increase in the number of auxiliary power available
- Sprinting now drains significantly more auxiliary power
- Auxiliary Power now regenerates passively at a rate of 2.5 units per second
- Additional ConVars have been added for controlling player base stats
- Monsters & Minions
- All monsters are now substantially less powerful at higher levels
- Hunters are no longer immune to the Flechette module
- Zombie & Fast Zombie minions no longer drop headcrabs on death
- Melee Vortigaunt has been removed from the game
- All monster stats are now determined by ConVars instead of text files
- The following modules have been removed: Regeneration, Armor Regen, Recharge, Freeze Bomb, Fast Headcrab Minion, Attrition, Running Man, Start Armor, and Mind Absorb
- New Module: Shockwave. Active. Steal 6...60 auxiliary power from all nearby players and deal same amount of damage to affected players. This module requires no auxiliary power to use.
- Clip Size: No longer affect ammo reserve, but rather, the amount of bullets players can load into their clips. At level 10, Clip Size allows two shots to be loaded into the Crossbow & RPG.
- Damage Amp: Increased cooldown from 2 seconds to 5 seconds
- Weaken: Decreased cooldown from 10 seconds to 5 seconds
- Plague: Plague is now an active module. Auxiliary power will be drained in proportion to the number of victim affected. Deactivating plague or running out of auxiliary power will cure all of your victims.
- Cloak: Will be suppressed for 2 second when damage is caused by the player, then reactivated automatically. Added 2 second cooldown.
- Critical Hits is now an active module. Auxiliary power is drained based on the base damage of weapon being used.
We're looking for team members!
Modular Combat is finally getting ready to take that leap into getting our own look & feel. Here are the spots we are currently looking for:
- Modeler(s), skinner(s), animator(s) (if you're the full package, awesome.)
- Sound artists
- Concept artists
If you're interested in helping Modular Combat get to the next level, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org - thanks!