Freeworlds: Tides of War is a fan built Star Wars total conversion mod for Digital Anvil's Freelancer game that was released several years ago. When fans began to make mods for Freelancer, one of the many things people were keen on seeing was a Freelancer mod based on the Star Wars universe developed by George Lucas. Freeworlds and Tides of War were the answer to this outcry. The development team of both mods have now joined forces to create an epic new Star Wars TC, Freeworlds: Tides of War.
For those of you that have been testing our demo, we are releasing our first client patch to fix many of the issues that have arisen while testing.
Posted by FW:ToW_Sushi on Apr 13th, 2012
This past week has been an incredible time for the Freeworlds: Tides of War development team. For those of you that haven't been following us, we released our first public demo, which showcased our new graphical interface and all our ship models, to a large general player base. So far, the support has been overwhelming. We are so thrilled that so many of you have enjoyed our work. The team was even more delighted to have over 900 distinct IPs log onto our server in the past week! Not so bad for a 9 year old game!
Now that we have a very good sized player base to test the mod, our team has been working hard over the past week to fix the inevitable bugs that come up during a release of this magnitude. FriendlyFire has been painstakingly going through the DX9 code to look for ways to improve performance and to fix the bugs that some people have been having. To get a better idea of what FF has done, please watch this video below:
I have been working on fixing the bugs with ships and the client server as well as balance some glaring issues we had in our first release.
Now that we've fixed a number of these bugs, and have improved gameplay performance, we are releasing our first client side patch. If you haven't already downloaded the main demo download, you can do so here:
Here are some nice player donated screenies of the first week of the demo:
After you finished downloading the full install, please download our first client patch which will allow you to see all the improvements we've made in addition to getting massive performance gains on our server. For those who run XP as their main operating system, we're currently still working on a fix for you. You will just have to be patient with us.
For those that a curious, here is our current change log:
- major rewriting of the rendering pipeline to optimize speed and rendering of planets, hopefully also improving compatibility
- important improvements and changes to the deferred rendering through dynamic control of the number of lights drawn on screen
- proper implementation of anisotropic filtering
- fixed Alt-Tab crashing the game when in fullscreen
- fixed ship handling bugs which would cause turning to be much slower under certain situations
- changed volume of proton bombs, heavy rockets, adv. proton torpedo
- changed damage of adv. proton torpedo and heavy rockets
- changed refire rate of proton bombs, heavy rockets, adv proton torpedo, adv concussion and concussion missiles
- changed strafe to 20% previous power
- changed camera z distance. Increased all starfighters by 30%
- changed camera swing settings - reduced
- added missiles/torps to all bases in combat prototype system
- fixed pricing bug with imperial bombers
- removed battle atmosphere
- fixed space bomb bug
- added in hull plate phantom loot. Increased drop rates and price
- fixed VSD loadout
- reduced NPC spam
- increased NPC density in all areas
- y-wing ion placement bug
- toscan internal equipment error fixed
- removed old code
- fixed dp20 crash bug
- increased NPC visual distance to 10km
- increased player visual distance to 30km
- fixed fuse code
- fixed firespray camera. Made it more inline with other assault shuttles
- fixed UHH: 0 bug ~ Thanks to Cannon
- fixed energy bug with planetary fighter
- fixed starting TIE fighter engine bug
- increased phantom spawn
- placed 3 assault concussion missiles on mc30c
- improved cluster bombs of mc30c
- added baby deathstar
- moved cockpits that were shifted to centre
- added phantom physics to docks
- fixed VSD model/wireframe
Please find the latest client update download here:
From the Freeworlds: Tides of War development team, we thank you for your continued support of this mod.