It is the year 2084. You control a secret organization charged with defending Earth from a brutal alien enemy. Build up your bases, prepare your soldiers, and lead them to victory in turn-based tactical combat.
The UFO:AI development team is proud to announce the release of UFO: Alien Invasion Version 2.3. Two years in the making, this version features loads of new content, a dramatically improved rendering engine and extensive improvements to nearly every aspect of the game's campaign and battle systems.
Posted by mattn on Jun 18th, 2010
The UFO:AI development team is proud to announce the release of UFO: Alien Invasion Version 2.3. Two years in the making, this version features loads of new content, a dramatically improved rendering engine and extensive improvements to nearly every aspect of the game's campaign
and battle systems.
A few highlights of what's new in version 2.3:
- Complete overhaul of the campaign system, so that alien activity changes depending on the player's actions
- New capabilities for the rendering engine, including bumpmapping, specular lighting, glowmapping, flare support, texture blending and more
- A new tactical overhead map
- Alien bases have been added and the player can mount an assault on them
- Support for crashed UFO missions
- Overhauls of the map editor
- Loads of new maps and new tiles for existing maps that are randomly generated
- New weapons
- New music and sound effects
- And loads of behind-the-scenes optimizations and tweaks for everything from the pathfinding to the user interface
Read the full Changelog for 2.3 here:
Join our announcements mailing list:
A call for help:
The release of 2.3 is a milestone, but it is not the end of the road. The UFO:AI team has many plans for the game's development. New features appearing on the horizon for 2.4 include special mission objectives like rescuing downed pilots and expansions to key maps. UFO:AI needs contributors of all kinds. In particular, artists are needed to produce content for the expanded feature set, develop new battlegrounds and bring older content in line with the rendering engine's enhancements. If you'd like to help, join our forums and check out our contribution section.