Mount and Blade: Warband is the first sequel for the action role-playing video game Mount and Blade. First announced in January 2009, the game was developed by TaleWorlds and was published by Paradox Interactive on March 30, 2010. Warband expands on the original game by introducing a sixth faction, increasing the political options, allowing players to start their own faction, and incorporating multiplayer modes. Reveiws of the game were generally favourable, with the addition of multiplayer the most highly praised element.
The award winning indie game Mount&Blade is to receive an expansion pack bringing a much sought after multiplayer mode. Read on for an information round up and some exclusive information to ModDB
Posted by DainIronfoot on Mar 3rd, 2009
Firstly, thankyou to the ModDB staff for the editors choice award, and thankyou for all those who voted for M&B. Armagan, the creators of M&B gives his thanks!
Since the very early versions of Mount&Blade, back in the mists of time one feature has always been frequently requested by players: Multiplayer. Though the original M&B focused on a single player sandbox experience a new expansion pack to be released by developers Taleworlds will bring the experience of medieval combat to the internet. Here then is a summary of everything currently planned for the expansion pack including some exclusive new info for ModDB:
- The multiplayer will be battles only, not the campaign. It will bring all the most brilliant features of M&B singleplayer battles such as sieges, mounted combat, large battles and skill based melee combat to the multiplayer realm.
- The current playerlimit is 32 players in a server. This number can be boosted by NPC troops (bots) which can be commanded by players or operate on their own for a co-op experience.
- There will be several gametypes such as team deathmatch and siege battles.
- Players will be able to host their own servers as well as play on official servers
- There will almost certainly be some form of beta program
- The game will strive to have the best melee combat in a multiplayer game ever.
- As well as multiplayer the expansion will bring several other new features and improve others such as
- Improved strategic AI
- Extended diplomatic options
- State-of the-Art rendering technologies introduced for the first time, including the addition of High Dynamic Range (HDR)
- A brand new faction to fight for!
- The game will still be incredibly moddable. In fact so far, only one file of the module system is incompatible with 1.011 mods.
And now some exclusive new info for modDB on some new features:
- Formations: you'll be able to form lines deeper than two.
- Morale will affect battles more and your soldiers and enemies will run away when broken.
- It'll be more difficult to keep soldiers from an enemy faction. For example, if you are a Vaegir and you keep raiding Swadian villages, swadian troops in your party will be more likely to desert and your party morale will be reduced.
For more info, see the official Taleworlds forums!
And here are some screenshots of what the new version looks like courtesy of FZ: