​McDROID is a surreal Action Tower Defense with
- mega frikkin' lasers that talk
- upgradable robots
- Gattling turret
- crop and monsters that mutate
- an economy based on giant strawberries.
- levels hand crafted like they used be.
- Cute cartoony Borderland graphics, but it's hella tough so you may have to co-op with your friends to take down that insane Mutatosaurus.​
​
Imagine the hectic big boss fights of RTYPE combined with the smarts and resource management of Dune 2. That's ​McDROID, our first game, made in homage of these awesome classics.
It's original, with gorgeous cell shaded graphics, boasts 100 enemies on screen at once, the most badass weapons (linking teslas, wave canons, bot factories...) and unusually challenging enemies.
It's a tough game, not for the faint of heart and it's got co-op multiplayer.

RSS Feed New weapon - you choose

Birthday sale went better than expected so as promised we will add one new weapon so which one would you like to see in the final game ?

Posted by Elefantopia on Jan 10th, 2013

Which weapon do you want to see unlocked as achievement in McDROID:
1- Sentry Gun
2- Mutagel Vat
3- Thumper

The sentry gun is a gattling gun on a tripod, a la Aliens but with infinite ammo so you don't worry about that rolling counter. Deploy once, anywhere on the map, it's repairable.
The mutagel vat is a factory that produces mutants. It implants a control rod in their nerve stem so they fight for you. Deploy once, Long range of action, walks in corruption happily but bioid cannot be repaired.
The Thumper is a thing that hammers the ground rhythmically causing sandworms to attack it, uh I mean mutants. Perfect decoy ... so don't get attached to it.

Here are the concept sketches.

Sentry gun concept

Deployable Mutagel Vat

Thumper

The choice is yours !

Comments
d10sfan
d10sfan Jan 10 2013, 12:24pm said:

Hmm, all of them? ;)

My pick would be the mutant factory

Shaori
Shaori Jan 10 2013, 1:30pm said:

Hi, all of them would be best of course, otherwise my vote goes to the Sentry Gun. Keep it up!

pysiu
pysiu Jan 10 2013, 2:57pm said: Online

all
of
them :D

Personal favourite- Sentry Gun

anagromataf
anagromataf Jan 10 2013, 6:35pm said:

Mutagel Vat sounds the most interesting to me.
Second choice would be the thumber cause it would enhance strategic choices

Earthdforce
Earthdforce Jan 10 2013, 7:49pm said:

The mutagel vat sounds amazing! I totally want that one over another gun!

Munchgun
Munchgun Jan 11 2013, 12:39am said:

I'm having a really tough time deciding. I like the idea of the mutagel but I also want the sentry gun.....I'd be fine with either one XD But, for now (unless I change my mind later I guess) my vote goes to the sentrygun. But.....I also want to vote for mutagel JUST as I typed that. Oh, I'll stick to the sentry as my vote. :/ I'll be hoping between both otherwise. I do like the idea of the thumper too, I just like sentry and mutagel more.

faulkner
faulkner Jan 11 2013, 6:11am said:

Gattling gun please. I've been playing the game all Xmas and All I wanted was the lasers to be gattling guns.

shmibs
shmibs Jan 11 2013, 10:02am said:

/me throws in a vote for mutagel as well. like others have said, gattling guns would be fun, but they wouldn't add any new strategic elements to the game

Elefantopia Jan 20 2013, 1:58am replied:

How would mutagel offer more strategic choice than say factory ? What do you see the vat doing.

Kaliosmasteris
Kaliosmasteris Jan 11 2013, 12:08pm said:

sentry gun looks cool

verticalrockrat
verticalrockrat Jan 11 2013, 12:29pm said:

sentry gun

Jontymcd
Jontymcd Jan 11 2013, 4:46pm said:

Mutagel Vat would be good, though all of them would be even better

pysiu
pysiu Jan 12 2013, 10:50am said: Online

To be honest i can see multiple NEW strategic uses for a gattling gun so i don`t undestand some of the above comments :P (as i understood you can put gatling gun down like the sentry robot - good for defending those berries where there are no turret points.)

IrmanLuvCats
IrmanLuvCats Jan 12 2013, 12:47pm said:

The mutagel vat is my vote. I can see future strategies with it.

Elefantopia Jan 20 2013, 1:56am replied:

Mutagel sounds cool and story wise it fits (you'll see) but what new strategies do you think of ?

(I'll be tuning the AI soon so if your strategy is cool you know what will happen ...)

IrmanLuvCats
IrmanLuvCats Jan 25 2013, 9:36pm replied:

Sorry for the late reply.(I've been playing too much McDroid)
The mutagel vat can be used as a defensive deployable for example to defend the shuttle or a plantation.This can be done with the sentry gun BUT it has a limited firepower and range.

Merlinsfan
Merlinsfan Jan 12 2013, 5:04pm said:

I think it would be interesting to see how people put the elements of the thumper and the mutant vat to games rather than just more guns.

Elefantopia Jan 13 2013, 2:45am said:

What new strategies do you guys imagine with these deployables ?

anagromataf
anagromataf Jan 15 2013, 8:53pm replied:

the thumber could lure enemies away, or into some oil barrels or into a large mass of turrets in a remote place (could be a nice level idea)

Elefantopia Jan 20 2013, 1:22am replied:

I really like that scneario because it's simple and makes use of the mechanics we've seen before so I want a thumper now !
We'll look at the technology behind that because it needs to work in co-op as well.

(feature creep before release - not recommended but so much fun :)

mrfu
mrfu Jan 19 2013, 5:59pm replied:

The sentry gun could definitely open some strategic options, since you can only build turrets on the yellow pedestals, the turret would allow some sort of defense to put up anywhere on the map. Definitely has my vote.

Elefantopia Jan 20 2013, 1:56am replied:

Any other strategy despite pew pew off the beaten path ?

mrfu
mrfu Jan 20 2013, 4:14am replied:

Well, the mutant factory would allow you (if I get the concept right, that is) to build up a large army of free mutants. Yes, you have to spend a (probably) big sum of money on the mutagel vat, but once it is deployed and you repair it enough for it not to be destroyed, then that would be a very efficient source of defensive and offensive forces. It would be super sweet if you could actually give them a waypoint they would follow, so as to command these little creatures too.

pysiu
pysiu Jan 20 2013, 12:02pm replied: Online

i think it would block some passages at all untill destroyed (those places next to 1square width bridges)

stuntaneous
stuntaneous Jan 13 2013, 2:20pm said:

I abstain and present another-

Suggestion: A placement that gives bonuses or abilities to nearby little roboty minions, whatever they're called, based on the type (and number) of other placements within a certain proximity.

Apart from that, I'm waiting on content. And another thing (!), it looks like a massive chore to work up to the quantities of diamonds required for further upgrades, post-missions. The figures are too high.

Elefantopia Jan 20 2013, 1:57am replied:

Confused by your suggestion (and how many times will I have to write this text - come on internet accept my reply!) can you share with us your coolest scenario ?

stuntaneous
stuntaneous Feb 10 2013, 2:15pm replied:

The minions 'turret' you can place, the little robot dudes it generates. You included them for a reason, hopefully it wasn't just for diversity! The player could decide to sacrifice a nearby turret placement to put down a new 'turret' that buffs the little robots. In very general terms, the player loses the advantage a turret provides and gains further strength in their roaming, robot force. They strengthen whatever unique aspect those little guys bring to the battlefield, that which is the reason you included them in the game.

I've had momentary, superficial thought about this idea. I haven't got a characteristic scenario to frame the new unit within. You'd be better at that, knowing the game inside and out as you do. I've just given it the summary, strategic thought. It adds another dynamic and element to balance out.

As for what specific buff would be applied, that could be one of many. Take your pick. Random choice of the day: a tesla effect that causes enemies attacking your little robots to take damage. Electric thorns.

I hope you can find your way through this reply of minimal substance.

If you're ever actually short a real, integral idea, throw me a message. I've got them coming out of my a.. I've got plenty and can develop them further than this fleeting instance.

Happy Monday.

shmibs
shmibs Jan 14 2013, 7:20pm said:

assuming those very high diamond numbers indicate lots and lots of new levels to come i'm all for them =D

Elefantopia Jan 20 2013, 1:18am replied:

We're testing more elegant ways to give players value than cramming levels because personally I can't stand boring same-crap levels and prefer quality over quantity :)
We'll show something soon, you guys may like it.

TaiekiNoYuurei
TaiekiNoYuurei Jan 15 2013, 2:51pm said: Online

I vote for the mutant factory.

pysiu
pysiu Jan 17 2013, 3:37am said: Online

- i was thinking about placing the sentry gun in a remote place next to the expected monster path (best some narrow passage)
- placing on green grass ground where there are no normall turret place holders
- maw down the enemies!
* i hope it has awesome firepower and range.

but for now i mostly want RAIL.... pretty pls :D

Oh, and btw- i don`t think diamonds drop rate is too low. As far as i know you can get 100+ each run when making lvl 7 challenge.
Grinding diamonds makes the game fun after finishing all teh maps in regular mode.

Elefantopia Jan 20 2013, 1:19am replied:

Yeah good to see that strategy works because we started doubting of our approach : if you want diamonds you gotta do challenge and nightmare.
That said I smoothed the diamond price so at least casual players can enjoy mk2 of each module.

pysiu
pysiu Jan 18 2013, 7:42am said: Online

Yay, thx for the update! The new map is cruelly HARD but maybe it`s just the fact that i suck :D

Elefantopia Jan 20 2013, 1:13am replied:

We try to make each level unique with at least one new approach to solve it, this one has 3 key ways to solve one being using the rail early and turning McDROID into a mobile battle station ;)

pysiu
pysiu Jan 19 2013, 7:37am said: Online

not that hard afterall ;)

Love the Rail. Never expected it to have TWO ADDITIONAL turret points. This is ownage :D and actually adds the most strategic options/ways to build the Droid (should you be a walking armageddon or rather a factory, etc)
It would be nice to be able to put down the "railed" turrets but i guess limitting this has it`s reasoning ;)

BTW i have played my first coop today, it was cool!
Only thing i`d like changing is maybe to have the messages from other players appear more noticable, i tend to miss them during the heat of the game :)

Elefantopia Jan 20 2013, 1:10am replied:

Wow ! So good to see you figured out the Rail potential !!! Have you tried carrying 3 factory mk3 ? with all the robots following you and zapping everyting that moves. it's pretty wild.

Yes agreed on the chat text, can't read it either, we'll change that.

And welcome to the wacky world of co-op, now it is very stable, let's see if people start enjoying more.

mrfu
mrfu Jan 20 2013, 4:17am replied:

A little short bleep sound in a popular game I won't name does the trick for me, I instantly am aware of an incoming chat message. If people are offended by the sound, they can simply turn it off in the options menu.

pysiu
pysiu Jan 20 2013, 5:14am replied: Online

Oooooh maaaaan, thx for the 3x3 factory tip.

It will be costly as hell (2k strawberries for 1 max factory :D) but i can imagine the carnage :D

Totaly by the way- how about dividing the collected strawberry pool into half between players (or implementing a forced upgrade/build turns for players) in coop? Or maybe turret build ingame voting system ;)
What i ment is (yeah, i suck at describing things :D) that nowadays people often disconnect or kick other people from the coop games due to the fact that the strawberry pool is not divided (in other words other people use the strawberries they wanted to use for upgrades :))

Elefantopia Jan 21 2013, 4:55am replied:

Yeah man ! 3x mk3 factory requires going to challenge I reckon, let me know if you manage that in Challenge because I want people to go Berzerk with this Rail, RTYPE style.

Regarding Co-Op, can you elaborate what the experience is and the thinking behind kicking someone. I created a forum on Desura, you can start a thread if you want.

pysiu
pysiu Jan 21 2013, 5:58am replied: Online

Thx for replying, i have made a new topic on the forum ( Desura.com ). Not sure if i am more clear there though :)

Please let me know if more clarification is needed, i know i can be vague sometimes :P

Regarding the Rail, i`ll try to play with it more today :)

pysiu
pysiu Jan 19 2013, 2:01pm said: Online

woah, i can see both Sentry Gun and Mutagel Vat for research- thx!
now i`ll stop flooding this comments section :P

Elefantopia Jan 20 2013, 1:07am replied:

Hehe, these are temp placeholders so don't get too excited yet ;)

Elefantopia Jan 20 2013, 1:15am said:

So we tabulated and as you probably already saw in the new build the Sentry is in and so is the vat - for now. I personally think the thumper is more different and therefore more interesting, we'll see about adding it after the release :)

pysiu
pysiu Jan 20 2013, 6:08am said: Online

thumper looks nice as well i just don`t like spending hard earned strawberries ;) for an object which will be destroyed by the strawberry looters ;)